Vytautas Magnus University – Liberal Thought in Action
Vytautas Magnus University (VMU), established in 1922 (re-established in 1989) is one of the most liberal and modern universities in Lithuania, having liberal studies policy, seeking and establishing successful international relations with other universities all over the world. It is an open university where traditions and innovations meet and complement each other.
Special Features of VMU
• The University is proud of creative and enthusiastic community – students and academics who feel free to communicate as of equal status what allows to cooperate and not only share what they know but also generate new knowledge.
• Graduates with a broad humanistic orientation for Lithuania's needs in research, culture, education and economy.
• Academic freedom as one of the most important principles of University's activity.
• Languages. Students are offered to learn up to 25 languages, including Latvian, Japanese, Turkish, Ancient Greek, Norwegian, Finnish, Portuguese, etc.
• Studying at VMU also gives a great opportunity to learn Lithuanian language, become acquainted with Lithuanian culture, literature, art, history and politics - the university offers Lithuanian Language and Culture Summer Course for foreign students since 1998.
• Establishing successful international relations.
Mentor's Programme at VMU
In order to make the adaptation process of incoming students at our University much more easier the Mentor Programme was established.
A mentor is a student of Vytautas Magnus University who has already studied abroad (or perhaps is planning to study in the future), has the international and intercultural experience and voluntary helps the incoming foreign students. A mentor is a person who:
- Meets in the station and accompanies new incoming students to the dormitory;
- Assists students to orientate themselves at the University and in Kaunas during the study period;
- Helps to find the library and computer classes, to register to the courses;
- Supports in making new friends among Lithuanian students, etc.
- The Mentors' Programme at VMU aims to help incoming students to adapt and socialize oneselves in the new academic, social and culture environment. The International Office at VMU coordinates the Programme.
Vytautas Magnus University in Outline
• About 7000 Bachelor & 2000 Master students;
• Over 250 PhD students;
• About 100 Professional development students;
• Over 550 scholars and researches;
• 70 BA and MA study programs;
• 8 MA degree programs and over 500 courses in English;
• Up to 25 foreign languages courses;
• 10 faculties: Arts, Catholic Theology, Economics and Management, Humanities, Informatics, Law, Political Science and Diplomacy, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences (with the Institute of Social Welfare), Music Academy;
• Over 200 partner universities around the world;
• Member of 9 international organizations & associations;
• Member of Campus Europae university network.
For more information see: http://www.vdu.lt/